The forecast called for very light air and the fleet wasn’t too optimistic, however, the wind filled in and by 11:00 we had 9 knots of breeze coming from the east. Race committee started the race right on time to make the best of the wind while it lasted. On the next 2 races, a persistent veer in the wind caused the race committee to put up ‘charlie’ + green flags at the top end to indicate the leeward gates where shifted course-side-left. By the third race the wind had dropped substantially, but the waves & slop did not. Race committee shortened the course and brought the windward mark to 0.9 nm. It was a hard slog up and down the course, and by the time the last boat had finished the fleet was exhausted.
By 4:30 Saturday, the fleet was back on dock folding sails and finding shade. The wind had completely died so calling it quits when we did was the right call. The fleet was definitely dehydrated and looking forward to the party Saturday night where PCYC put on a great BBQ spread with salads and deserts, and plenty of beer taps flowing.
At the close of Saturday’s racing we’ve completed 5 races, so we’ve now the completed the requirements for a series. A change to the SI’s was made Saturday and we’re going to try and start Sunday’s race at 10:00 instead of 11:00. If we can get another 3 races in the fleet will be ecstatic.